Wednesday 24 March 2010

Welcome to my Garden

This blog came about because a friend said I should share my garden notes with more than just a handful of people. I am in two minds about this because there are plenty of magazines and garden blogs for people to read... why create another? Another problem which inhibits me slightly is that I'm a published writer hoping to sell some articles to magazines. I can't sell pieces I've already publicised on the blogosphere.

However, it takes an awfully long time to get anything accepted, and there's a good deal I can say which might be interesting, yet not publishable in magazines.

So why not write a blog?

I want to maintain some anonymity so call myself Evelyn, I live "somewhere in Essex", and have done for ten years. I took up writing about 6 years ago, starting off with a crime novel, perhaps not the best way of doing things. I made all the usual mistakes a novice writer makes, yet found an agent with that first novel. After much patience on her part, and many re-writes on mine, I had a presentable novel, but alas, her attempts to find a home for it failed.

Meanwhile I wrote several more, and, since most of the rejections were due to my novice status, decided to try short stories and articles. I have had a couple of short stories published, and some non-fiction articles. So when I'm not gardening, I'm writing. (Anything to avoid the housework.)

My garden is a real garden, not a TV garden or a show garden, in which I try new things, I make mistakes, and I have my successes. I have a very limited budget and tend to make do. My garden isn't really big enough, so everything is crammed in. I have a pottager round the side, thought this is horribly overshadowed by my neighbour's massive extention. Another neighbour's massive extention is right in my face in the back garden. It's rather depressing, but like most of us, I have to go with what I've got, and make the best of it.

Because of the writing and other committments, I have neglected my garden for a the last few years. It's now time to claim it back.

One thing I will not be showing on this blog, is my front garden. As I say, I want to maintain some anonymity and streetview is just too revealing. Also, I shall not be divulging any of my security measures which keep my home and garden safe.

2 comments:

  1. This looks interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on what you get up to.

    Daisy Leaf

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are potty- but i enjoyed your ramblings,so will visit again

    ReplyDelete